Auditors specializing in information systems analyze risks related to technology infrastructure, including vulnerabilities in information processing and storage. They recommend improvements to business managers which may cover system upgrades and internal policy revisions for the access, use and maintenance of financial data. Information technology auditors can work within a company or provide external review through an accounting firm or as an independent consultant.
- Job Stats
- Education and Experience Requirements
- Additional Qualifications Recommended
- Ensure information systems meet the requirements of internal policies and any external laws or standards
- Provide detailed reports to business leaders
- Make recommendations for improving technology systems and practices and minimizing security risks
- Employment numbers: According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there were 1,275,400 accountants and auditors employed in 2012.
- Salary: Information technology auditors working at mid-size companies can expect to earn an annual salary of $54,500 to $88,250 according to the Robert Half 2015 Salary Guide for Accounting and Finance.
- Projected growth: The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that employment opportunities for accountants and auditors will increase 13% between 2012 and 2022.
Education and Experience Requirements
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field is preferred, as well as information technology certification.
- Three or fewer years of relevant experience is typical of accountants entering an information technology auditor position.
Additional Qualifications Recommended
- CPA: The Certified Public Accountant license is granted through State Boards of Accountancy. The process includes examination, as well as documentation of required education and prior experience as determined by each state.
- CISA: The Certified Information Systems Auditor credential provides auditors working specifically with information technology systems an option for professional development and industry-recognized certification.